Sunday, October 26, 2008

Devil


A devil is a pretty simple costume, not requiring a whole lot of creativity. Nevertheless, I had fun with it. I had an old red satin-y shirt from back in the '80s that had a big tear in it but which I'd kept, figuring I could use either the shirt or the fabric for a costume some day. I cut off the arms and sewed up the openings and the tear to make a red cape for Karen.

This was actually a three-coat-hanger costume. For the horns, I snapped the curved ends off of a plastic coat hanger, covered them with red fabric, and attached them to a headband. Then I took two of those coat hangers you get from the dry cleaner where the bottom part is a thin cardboard tube, and removed the wire. One of the pieces of wire was covered with the fabric from one of the old shirt arms, attached to a belt and became the tail (with an old shoulder pad added where the wire would otherwise touch Karen's back). The other piece of wire was twisted to become pitchfork prongs. The two cardboard tubes became the shaft of the pitchfork (I found a thin piece of plastic to act as a dowel between them, so they would hold together), and I then wrapped the whole thing in duct tape. Yes, I know you can buy a plastic pitchfork for under $4 at the drugstore this time of year, but this was way cooler!

I think Karen makes an adorable devil!

No comments: