Saturday, October 18, 2008

InuYasha

I'd never heard of InuYasha before Allison became interested in it. It's a Japanese manga/anime series, and InuYasha is a half-dog-demon. This is what he looks like.

Allison already had the Chinese robe (we ignored the fact that it has a dragon embroidered on it), and the red pants were recycled from another dance costume of mine (safety-pinned at the waist so that they weren't falling off her!).

Allison made her own ears -- just paper stuck to a headband, and of course she already has the blonde hair. She borrowed the sword and scabbard from Trevor. Interestingly enough, the trickiest part of this costume was the necklace, which is important to InuYasha, and Allison felt it was important to get right. She made the wolf teeth herself out of white sculpey. We had a strand of Mardi Gras beads about the right shape and size, but when I took them off the necklace, I discovered that they'd been glued, so couldn't be restrung. So there I was, reduced to drilling small holes in a couple of dozen Mardi Gras beads! I wondered if anyone would know who she was trying to be, but apparently InuYasha is more widely known than I'd realized, because she tells me that at school she was instantly recognizable.

No comments: